Small Claims Resolution Center
Online Dispute Resolution
ODR is a free court-managed online platform where parties in a small claims or debt collection lawsuit can negotiate a settlement by messaging one another directly. To access ODR, parties can use their smartphone, computer, or tablet at any time before the Pretrial Conference, including evenings and weekends. Parties can also request a mediator within the ODR program for additional help at any time—for no cost. If settlement is reached before the ODR session expires, you do not have to appear in court. The ODR program is free.
Why Use Online Dispute Resolution?
Get Started in 3 Easy Steps!
Enclosed with the summons, complete the Designation of Email Address form within 10 days of receiving it.
File the Designation of Email address form with the Court electronically or in-person.
To file in-person in Brevard County,
visit any local Clerk of Court location.
To file in-person in Seminole County,
visit the Clerk of Court located at:
101 Eslinger Way
Sanford, Florida 32773
Register your account on Modria to start negotiating settlement.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Online Dispute Resolution (ODR)?
Am I required to use ODR?
- Brevard County: Effective on or after May 15, 2020, parties of most Brevard County small claims cases are required to use ODR in attempt to negotiate a settlement. PIP actions or lawsuits involving an insurance carrier are excluded from this requirement. Each party may opt out of ODR by filing a motion with the Court for the Judge’s approval. (Brevard County Administrative Order 20-26-B)
- Seminole County: At this time, participation in ODR is voluntary
Is there a charge for ODR?
What are the advantages in using ODR?
If I use ODR, do I still have to go to court for the Pretrial Conference?
How do I negotiate a settlement using ODR?
The Plaintiff (the person who filed the lawsuit) and the Defendant (the person being sued) would register and sign onto the ODR platform, Modria.
- To submit an offer: Click on “OFFERS” located on the left side panel. The party would enter the payment amount and terms. They do not have to be on the platform at the same time to submit an offer or discuss payment terms.
- To have a discussion with the other party: Click on “TALK IT OUT” to have a discussion about payment terms and total amount due.
- For additional assistance: Parties may also request a mediator for additional assistance with negotiations, however, a mediator can only be assigned if both parties agree to it.
Are negotiations in ODR confidential?
Is there anyone else who would assist me when I use ODR?
What is the role of an attorney in ODR?
Need More Help?
Florida Courts Help available at the touch of a screen:
For constituents, customers, or callers seeking help with family law cases – divorce, adoption, name change, custody, order of protection, and much more – there is now a one-stop source for lots of information aimed at self-represented people. Florida Courts Help is available at app stores as well as online at help.flcourts.gov.