The Honorable David Dugan
- Fletcher H.S. Neptune Beach, Fl, 1971
- University of Florida – B.A. Criminal Justice, with Honors 1975
- Stetson University College of Law, with Honors 1978
- Member, Stetson Law Review
- Judge Advocate General School with Honors 1978
- JAGC (U.S. Army) 1978-1981.
- Provided trial defense to service members facing general (felony) courts martial and/or special (misdemeanor) courts martial.
- Appointed Senior Defense Counsel, responsible for the supervision and training of other Division trial attorneys.
- Provided general legal advice and representation to service members and their families.
- Private Practice 1981-1998 Brevard County, Florida – Civil practice focusing on business and construction matters.
- Brevard Administrative Judge, 2016-2018
- Circuit Judge, Brevard and Seminole Counties, 1998-Present
- First elected in 1998 to begin service January, 1999. Re-elected in 2004 and 2010 without opposition
- Division assignments:
- Civil/Family Combined Division
- Domestic Violence
- Felony Criminal
- Civil/ Foreclosure
- Judicial Leadership Positions:
- Acting Chief Judge July 2008-June 2009
- Brevard County Administrative Judge July 2008-June 2009
- Administrative Judge – Criminal Division
- Administrative Judge – Civil Division
- Administrative Judge – Foreclosure Division
- Administrative Judge – Domestic Violence
- Established the Brevard County Domestic Violence Court in 1999
- Justice delayed is justice denied. Judge Dugan has served as the administrative judge in each division to which he has been assigned. As administrative judge, he has supervised the timely, efficient, and fair provision of judicial services to the attorneys and citizens of Brevard County. Judge Dugan and the team of judges and staff in each division have created systems and attitudes leading towards caseload reductions and timely case resolution. Judge Dugan is sought out by attorneys, agencies, and other judges for case management and resolution advice.
ORGANIZATIONS, COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS:
- Past Member of Rotary Club of Melbourne and Rockledge Rotary Club. Past President of the Melbourne Rotary Club; past director of Rockledge Rotary Club.
- Melbourne Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Active member 1982 to present
- Better Business Council (Board 1990-1997, Chair 1996)
- Chamber Board 1993-1998
- Chamber President 1998
- Member of Committee of Past Presidents, 1999 to present
- Chair of Brevard County Council of Chambers, 1998
- Easter Seal Society of East Central Florida – Past Chair
- Boy Scout Leader 1992-2001
- Prior youth sports leadership/coaching positions, including soccer and basketball
- Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. Previous instructor for youth and adult Tae Kwon Do classes
- Member of planning committee and presenter for The Summit of Seven Youth Leadership Conference, an annual program directed to the youth of our community
- Space Coast Civilian/Military Organization
- Annual panel member of Melbourne Community Forum
- Panel member in other community forums, including Foreclosure Forum
LAW RELATED ORGANIZATIONS, COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS:
- Former Member, 18th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
- Member, Brevard and Seminole County Bar Associations
- Member, Public Safety Coordinating Council
- Member, Brevard County Domestic Violence Task Force
- Member, Planning Committee for Salvation Army’s Supervised Visitation and Exchange center
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Florida Court Public Information Officers Community Outreach Award in 2019
- Florida Today’s Volunteer of the Year Award, 2018
- Summit of Seven “Man of the Year” Award in 2016, recognizing two decades of service to the organization. The Summit of Seven is an annual event designed to introduce teenagers and young adults to role models.
- 2001 Governor’s Peace at Home Award presented by Governor Jeb Bush for “outstanding accomplishments and contributions in protecting the public and preventing domestic violence.”
- Finalist for award presented by the State of Florida during “National Crime Victim’s Rights Week.”
- The Domestic Violence program created by Judge Dugan was recognized by Best Practices Institute of the National Center for State Courts.
- Captain, U.S. Army, serving overseas 1978-1981
- Army Reserves, 1981-1984